Thursday, March 16, 2006

Jeremy vs. The Name of His Blog


Attentive readers - both of you - will have noticed that I have changed the name of my blog at least three times. As a consequence of my indecision - and that's all it is, pure and simple - the name appears differently on different parts of the Web.

Well, I'd like to announce that the final, final, final name is now "Daddy Dialectic: The Political Journal of a Dad-at-Home."

What the heck is dialectics? Let me quote from "What the Heck is Dialectics?", which happened to be the first page I found in a google search:
Dialectics is a tool to understand the way things are and the way things change. Understanding dialectics is as easy as 1 - 2 - 3.

One--Every thing (every object and every process) is made of opposing forces/opposing sides.

Two--Gradual changes lead to turning points, where one opposite overcomes the other.

Three--Change moves in spirals, not circles.

Dialectics is closely associated with Karl Marx (though it really started with Hegel, Heraclitus, and Lao-Tzu), but I'm not a marxist. I'm a leftist, but not a marxist. Really, I'm not. I call my blog "Daddy Dialectic" because my life really does feel dialectical right now, with many incremental changes leading to a turning point where opposites are overcoming each other and everything is spiraling around me and I myself am spiraling. As you can see in the photo, Liko is also spiraling. We're all of us spinning around! Whee! It's poetically true, you see, though politically distracting. So, uh, welcome to "Daddy Dialectic"!

(A bit slaphappy today, as attentive readers might have noticed. A paranthetical note: In setting up the link above, I googled an essay I wrote on the Communist Manifesto for Dollars and Sense magazine way back in the futuristic year 1999 -- some of you might recall 1999 as the last year of civilization, before the Y2K crash plunged us all into a barbaric age from which we have yet to recover. Anyway, I discovered that the essay retails on Amazon for $5.95. I had no idea. Wonder if anybody's ever bought it? I certainly haven't seen a dime. Next question: I wonder how many digital versions of my work are out there getting bought and sold without my knowledge or financial gain?)

No comments: