Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Moms vs. The Man


Miriam at Playground Revolution has posted a series of blog entries calling moms and dads to political activism. If combining parenthood and politics seems impossible, but you're still looking for a kick in the ass, read Miriam's May 5 entry.

Miriam also points to MomsRising, "a new organization founded by Joan Blades and Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner with the goal of championing core motherhood and family issues in political, social, and economic spheres."

It's a worthy effort, though when I look at the organization's actual program, I have to wonder why those issues - parental leave, flexible work, healthcare for all kids, etc. - are defined as only mom's issues. Why not define them as issues for any parent or caregiver? Though I understand why it makes sense to target strategic constituencies, it still seems a trifle retro given all the changes families are going through.

Eh, what do I know. I'm just a guy with a laptop in one hand and a dirty diaper in the other. As I've said elsewhere, I see myself as a mr. mom. I've signed up for MomsRising, and you should too.

No comments: